15 feel-good festive gifts for beauty buffs
At the end of what has been a tough year for everyone, it’s all about the feel-good factor when selecting presents this Christmas.
And when it comes to beauty gifts, that means supporting sustainable and black-owned brands, choosing charitable products or encouraging some much-needed ‘me time’ for your loved ones.
From stocking fillers to luxurious sets, here’s our pick of the best beauty gifts for all ages…
1. BBC Earth Travel Cleansing Bar Set, £10, Boots
For a friend or family member who’s committed to cutting down on single-use plastic, this set of four vegan cleansing bars (soap, shampoo, body scrub and body wash) is a step in the right direction, saving the equivalent of more than eight plastic bottles.
2. UpCircle The Merry Choc-mas Bundle, £19.99 (was £25.47)
Innovative eco brand UpCircle repurposes ingredients that would otherwise be thrown away. This set includes a body scrub with coffee grounds from cafes, and soap with residual chai spices, as well as a tube squeezer – so nothing goes to waste – and a bar of tasty vegan dark chocolate.
3. Kind2 The Gift Set, £37.45
A great starter kit for an eco conscious pal, this plastic-free trio of hair cleansing bars comes with an enamel tray and drawstring storage bag.
4. Avon Speak Out Perfectly Matte Lipstick, £6
Refuge reported a sharp spike in domestic violence during the pandemic, while Women’s Aid saw a 40% increase in visitors to its online chat. In response, Avon launched the Speak Out lipstick, a classic cool-toned matte red, from which 50% of sales will be donated to the two charities.
5. Yardley London 250 For Her Limited Edition Eau de Parfum, £16.67 (was £25)
Celebrating the 250 years of the heritage brand, this oriental floral fragrance brings together a bouquet of lavender, lily, neroli, violet and rose layered on a creamy vanilla and wood base. Partnering with Look Good Feel Better, 1.5% of sales from the women’s and men’s anniversary scents will go to the cancer support charity.
6. Green People Organic Babies Silent Night Winter Edition, £20
For every sale of this baby-friendly duo, featuring lavender-scented wash and lotion, Green People will donate 50p to The Lullaby Trust, which raises awareness of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and supports bereaved parents.
7. As I Am Born Curly Avocado Shea Co-wash, £6.49; As I Am Born Curly Argan Curl Defining Jelly, £7.99, Afrodrops
The rise of the Black Lives Matter movement has highlighted the importance of supporting black-owned beauty companies.
Launched by Luke Carthy after his 5-year-old son said he hated how his hair grew compared to his classmates, Afrodrops’ website stocks 13 black hair brands, offering 137 specialist products for natural afro and curly hair types.
8. Uoma Black Magic Colour Palette in Poise, £43, Selfridges
Meaning ‘beautiful’ in Igbo, Uoma was founded by Nigerian former beauty executive Sharon Chuter. The 10-pan Poise eyeshadow palette brings together matte and shimmer shades in a range of highly-pigmented warm tones, with a couple of brights for creating ultra eye-catching looks.
9. Pat McGrath Labs Mattetrance Lipstick in Celestial Divinity Pavé Elson, £45
Backstage beauty legend Pat McGrath’s matte lipsticks are nothing short of legendary themselves. For the festive season, bag a bling-encrusted Mattetrance lippie in the velvety blue-toned red Elson shade.
10. Nars Mini Laguna Lip and Bronzer Duo, £20, Space NK
Starring Nars’ much-loved golden brown Laguna shade, this on-the-go glow duo brings together a mini Bronzing Powder and Afterglow Lip Balm.
11. Fenty Beauty Glossy Posse Holo’daze Edition Mini Gloss Bomb Collection, £30, Boots
Shine like Rihanna herself with this quartet of shimmery wet-look lip glosses from the pop superstar’s beauty brand.
12. Bobbi Brown Luxe Gilded Highlighter in Foiled Petal, £36.50
Part of Bobbi Brown’s holiday collection, this peachy-pink highlighter imparts a pearlescent glow on your cheekbones.
13. Marks and Spencer Festive Penguin Bath Fizzer Gift Set, £15
Inside this angelic penguin’s round belly, you’ll find six bath fizzers, ready to transform your tub with a delightful coconut and vanilla aroma.
14. Beauty Pie Gingerbread, Almond & Orange Blossom Candle, £20.93 for members/£50 for non members (available from December 6)
No bath time is complete without a sumptuous scented candle to set the mood. New from Beauty Pie, this rose gold edition is festively fragranced with ginger, cinnamon, almond and orange blossom.
15. Diptyque Holiday Pocket Set, £38, Space NK
Housed in a beautiful blue gift pouch, this travel-sized trio contains everything you need for a long, luxurious soak: rose-scented soap and shower oil, plus a dinky version of Diptyque’s best-selling Baies candle.