Boy charged with murder after 17-year-old fatally stabbed
A 16-year-old has been charged with the murder of a 17-year-old who was stabbed to death in Brighton.
The boy, who cannot be named because of his age, is to appear at Brighton Youth Court on Tuesday in connection with the death of Mustafa Momand.
The teenager was pronounced dead in hospital following the incident last Thursday.
A Sussex Police spokesman said on Monday: “The Crown Prosecution Service has this evening (9 October) authorised a charge of murder against a 16-year-old boy from Southwick.
“The defendant, who cannot be named for legal reasons, remains remanded in custody and is scheduled to appear before Brighton Youth Court on Tuesday morning (10 October).
“It follows the fatal stabbing of 17-year-old Mustafa Momand in Queens Road, Brighton, around 5pm on Thursday 5 October.
“The suspect was arrested that same evening in the Moulsecoomb area.”
Our thoughts remain with the victim’s family, who continue to be supported by officers at this difficult time
Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Alex Campbell said: “Our thoughts remain with the victim’s family, who continue to be supported by officers at this difficult time.
“This is a fast-moving investigation and our efforts to establish the exact circumstances of what happened that day are ongoing.
“We know that a weapon – believed to be a knife – was used in the attack, and, despite extensive searches of the area, we have so far been unable to trace it.
“I would therefore urge anyone in the vicinity of Queens Road or The Avenue, Moulsecoomb, to please check their gardens, bins or outbuildings for any signs of a discarded weapon, and if you see anything, please report it to us immediately.”
The best videos delivered daily
Watch the stories that matter, right from your inbox