A 10-year-old boy has died after he received an electric shock at a Blackpool hotel, police said.
The youngster was found unresponsive at about 10.39pm on Sunday at Tiffany’s Hotel on the Promenade in Blackpool.
He died on Thursday, a Lancashire Police spokesman said.
The child’s injuries were consistent with him having received a “high voltage of electricity”, the force added.
In a statement released on Friday, Lancashire Police said: “A boy has sadly died following an incident at a Blackpool hotel.
“We were called to the Promenade, Blackpool, at 10.39pm on Sunday (September 3) to reports a 10-year-old boy had been found unresponsive inside a hotel.
We are heartbroken by the news we have received today and our thoughts and prayers remain with the family at this distressing time
“He was taken to hospital with injuries consistent with coming into contact with a high voltage of electricity and very sadly died in hospital yesterday (Thursday September 7).
“His family were by his bedside and our thoughts are with them at this time.
“Following an initial police investigation this matter has now been passed to the local authority.
“A file will be prepared for HM Coroner.”
A spokesman for Tiffany’s Hotel said: “We are heartbroken by the news we have received today and our thoughts and prayers remain with the family at this distressing time.
“We will continue to provide the relevant authorities any assistance they need to carry out their investigations.
Our investigation is now under way and following our advice the owner of the hotel has agreed to a voluntary closure
“The safety and comfort of our guests remains our number one priority and therefore we have taken the decision to voluntarily close whilst the investigations and our own inspections take place. Our phone lines remain open.”
A Blackpool Council spokeswoman said: “We have been informed of the tragic death of a young boy following an incident at Tiffany’s Hotel. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.
“Our investigation is now under way and following our advice the owner of the hotel has agreed to a voluntary closure.
“If anyone has information relating to this investigation they can email us at [email protected]”
The Tiffany Hotel was closed on Friday morning and a worker at a neighbouring hotel said it had been shut for the last few days.
She said she could hear children playing there last week but did not see anything of the incident.
A man in overalls working at the back of the hotel declined to speak.
The Blackpool lights switch-on took place last Friday, with many tourists and young families visiting the town for the annual event.
The best videos delivered daily
Watch the stories that matter, right from your inbox