23 April 2021

Police name 49-year-old man killed after BMW driven at him

23 April 2021

A 49-year-old man who was killed after a BMW was driven into him in Walton-on-Thames has been named as Matthew Tester.

Surrey Police said officers were called to Church Street at around 2.15pm on Thursday to reports of an altercation between a group of men.

A white BMW 1 Series was then reported to have driven at two men in the group, killing one and seriously injuring another.

Surrey Police named Mr Tester, known locally as Tik, from Walton-on-Thames, as the victim. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Flowers left at the scene near Church Street (PA Wire)

A second man, who is also in his 40s, is being treated in hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, the force said.

A 26-year-old man, who police said was the owner of the vehicle, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder. He remains in custody.

Detective Chief Inspector David Springett, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are working hard to build up a picture of events yesterday afternoon and I would like to thank all those who have come forward so far to help us do this.

“If you witnessed this incident or have any information relating to it and have not yet spoken to police, I would urge you to do so.

“A local man has sadly lost his life and our thoughts are very much with his family who are being supported by specialist officers at this difficult time.”

A cordon was in place behind the nearby Marks and Spencer store, which remained open, while the car park was closed on Thursday.

Police said the incident did not take place in the store’s car park but in a nearby public access road.

Mr Springett said: “We are particularly interested in speaking to anyone who may have seen a white 1 series BMW in the area during the immediate period beforehand or afterwards as it left from the scene on Church Street at around 2pm, driving towards the High Street.

“A white BMW, suspected of being the vehicle involved, was later found unoccupied at Temple Field Close in Addelstone and has since been recovered.”

Sergeant Pat Bauer said it is believed to be an “isolated incident” and that some of those involved were previously known to each other.

He said: “There have been some reports speculating about road rage but initial enquiries do not support this and it is believed some of the parties were previously known to each other.

“The cordon on Church Road will remain in place for the time being and you should expect to see an increased police presence in the area as officers conduct enquiries, including house to house, over the coming days as we continue our work on this case.”

The best videos delivered daily

Watch the stories that matter, right from your inbox