Prosecutors seek life sentence for man who inspired movie Hotel Rwanda

Paul Rusesabagina (AP)
15:40pm, Thu 17 Jun 2021
CBAD8A00-D2B9-4E0E-ADDF-D0366C357A34 Created with sketchtool. E9A4AA46-7DC3-48B8-9CE2-D75274FB8967 Created with sketchtool. 65CCAE04-4748-4D0F-8696-A91D8EB3E7DC Created with sketchtool.

Rwandan prosecutors have requested a life sentence for the man who inspired the film Hotel Rwanda as he faces terrorism charges, while his family asserts that he faces mistreatment and an unfair trial.

Paul Rusesabagina, once praised for saving hundreds of ethnic Tutsis from Rwanda’s 1994 genocide as a hotel manager, faces charges related to attacks by an armed group inside Rwanda in 2018 and 2019.

The nine charges include the formation of an irregular armed group, membership in a terrorist group and financing terrorism. Prosecutors seek to link him to activities that killed at least nine people.

Rusesabagina, a Belgian citizen and US resident, has denied the charges, arguing his case is politically motivated in response to his criticism of Rwanda’s long-time president, Paul Kagame.

Rusesabagina alleges that he was abducted last year while visiting Dubai and taken to Rwanda, where he was charged.

But a court on Thursday ruled that he was not kidnapped when he was tricked into boarding a chartered flight.

Rwanda’s government has asserted that Rusesabagina was going to Burundi to coordinate with armed groups based there and in neighbouring Congo.

After the prosecution sought the life sentence, Mr Rusesabagina’s daughter, Carina Kanimba, tweeted: “My father is a political prisoner. He is accused of invented charges, and zero evidence against him has been presented in the Rwandan kangaroo court.”

The family also has said Rusesabagina was being denied access to food and water, but Rwanda’s prison authority has denied it.

The case has received global attention. This month, the Lantos Foundation for Human Rights and Justice said it had filed a formal submission in the US recommending sanctions against the Rwandan Justice Minister, Johnston Busingye, and the head of the Rwanda Investigation Bureau, Col Jeannot Ruhunga, for their role in Rusesabagina’s detention.

Rusesabagina stopped appearing in court in March, saying he does not expect justice after his request to postpone the trial to prepare his defence was rejected.

His lawyer, Felix Rudakemwa, has asserted that Rusesabagina’s legal papers were confiscated by prison authorities.

Sign up to our newsletter