BBC to air iconic sporting highlights including London 2012, Euro '96 and Wimbledon to get fans through the summer
The BBC have announced they will be showing a host of memorable sporting events this summer to compensate for the coronavirus pandemic wiping out several huge competitions.
The London 2012 Olympic Games, the 1996 European Championships and some of Wimbledon's most iconic moments are just a few of the picks for the TV schedule.
And the director of BBC Sport Barbara Slater believes there will be enough coverage for all sports fans to pull them through what is likely to be a tough summer.
She said: “In these unprecedented and difficult times we are delighted to bring some of the most incredible sporting events from years gone by to our audiences over the next few months.
"From glorious moments at the Olympics including the magic of London 2012, thrilling Euro 96 matches, wonderful Wimbledon moments and the best of World Championship snooker, there is something for everyone to enjoy.”
Other major additions to the schedule include:
- Match of Their Day on Saturday nights where the pundits will choose their favourite matches and moments from the Premier League
- Football Focus every Saturday and Sunday afternoon with classic matches being broadcast
- Classic matches from past World Snooker Championships to replace postponed 2020 edition
- Test Match Special marks its 40th anniversary of its ‘View From The Boundary’ feature with a series of its 40 greatest episodes
- The fourth series of 'That Peter Crouch Podcast' and a 'Question of Sport' podcast