Boxer Anthony Yarde pleads with people to stay at home after his father dies from coronavirus
British boxer Anthony Yarde has revealed his father has died after contracting coronavirus.
Speaking on his Instagram story, he said: "I'm a very private person and TBH I'm still in shock but maybe this can help people stay home.
"My Dad passed away from this virus yesterday and he was fit with no health issues. The more people go out and mingle the longer this isolation will last and the more it will spread.
"I'm not a doctor but I do know if you stay home you are less likely to catch it or pass it on. It's seriously not worth the risk."
The 28-year-old light-heavyweight, who lost in his bid to claim a first world title against Sergey Kovalev in June last year, had said that his dad had been 'fit with no health issues' before he was infected with COVID-19.
Yarde's promoter Frank Warren also took to social media to issue his condolences and insisted people listen to the boxer's plea to stay in their homes.
Warren posted: "Frank Warren and everyone at Queensberry Promotions would like to express sincere condolences to Anthony Yarde and his family after the untimely passing of his father. Coronavirus is an issue affecting all of us, but that doesn’t make the individual casualties any less tragic.
"We hope that his fans listen to Anthony’s heartfelt plea for people to take the government’s advice seriously so we can try and minimise the suffering of others."
Yarde will fight Lyndon Arthur on the undercard of Daniel Dubois v Joe Joyce on July 11, a show which was originally scheduled for April 11 before the coronavirus pandemic.