Women's League Cup roundup: Liverpool shocked, while Man City and Arsenal make brilliant starts

Pauline Bremer was again the star for Man City with two goals (PA Images)
Pauline Bremer was again the star for Man City with two goals (PA Images)
19:14pm, Sun 22 Sep 2019
CBAD8A00-D2B9-4E0E-ADDF-D0366C357A34 Created with sketchtool. E9A4AA46-7DC3-48B8-9CE2-D75274FB8967 Created with sketchtool. 65CCAE04-4748-4D0F-8696-A91D8EB3E7DC Created with sketchtool.

Liverpool were shocked in the Women’s Continental League Cup, as Championship side Sheffield United struck a 94th minute winner to win 3-2.

Jade Pennock won the group opener in added time for United, after Ashley Hodson and Niamh Charles twice gave the Reds the lead at Preston Park.

Mandy Cusack scored with three minutes to go to once again level for United before Liverpool’s Jade Bailey was sent off a few moments later.

Champions Manchester City easily beat Leicester 5-0 to open their defence. Pauline Bremer and Caroline Weir continued their fine goalscoring form with two goals each and Tessa Wullaert curled in a fifth.

Finalists from last season Arsenal also had a 5-0 win, as Beth Mead scored a hat-trick against London City Lionesses. Jill Roord and Emma Mitchell also scored in the game.

Chelsea found it difficult against West Ham as a goalless first half proved, but Beth England and Guro Reiten eased their nerves to secure a 2-0 win for the Blues.

Reading won convincingly 4-0 away at Tottenham, as a double from Brooke Chaplen and an own goal from Ashleigh Neville condemned the newly-promoted side to the Women’s Super League to defeat.

Birmingham got revenge for their defeat to Everton in the WSL last weekend, as Rachel WIlliams came on as a substitute to give the Blues a 1-0 victory.

Durham won 3-0 against Aston Villa with Molly Sharpe scoring twice and Kayleigh Green scored from the penalty spot twice to earn Brighton a 3-0 win away at Charlton. Bristol City also won 3-0 against London Bees.

Crystal Palace’s Rea Laudat struck the winner in a 3-2 defeat of Lewes, while Coventry United saw off Blackburn 4-3 in a penalty shootout after a 1-1 draw.

Sign up to our newsletter