Defending women's champion Ashleigh Barty not consulted about French Open postponement but Rafael Nadal was
French Open champion and world No 1 Ashleigh Barty has revealed that she was not consulted regarding the postponement of the 2020 French Open.
The 23 year-old Australian, who won her maiden Slam at Roland Garros in 2019, says she was kept out of the loop when it came to discussions over postponement despite organisers reporting discussions with 12-time champion Rafael Nadal.
Speaking to AAP, Barty said: "I haven’t spoken to Guy Forget [the tournament director] but I’m happy to play the tournament whenever it is scheduled.
“I hope I get the chance to defend my title in September – any opportunity to compete is something I’ll grab with both hands.
She finished by adding: “There are more important things going on in the world right now, though, and I will do whatever helps keep us all safe and healthy.”
It had been previously reported that discussions had been had with Nadal, who was supportive of the date change, having caused organisers anxiety that he may boycott it should the event take place amid the coronavirus crisis.
However, it is unclear as to why Barty was not also consulted.
“We had Rafa on the phone [and] we tried to reach other players,” FFT president Bernard Giudicelli told RMC Sport.
“It was Guy who got Rafa. His feeling was that it was a good decision that keeps the clay season on the calendar.”
The French Open was originally due to take place from May 24 – June 7 but has now been rescheduled to September 20.