Vitality Netball Superleague considering options for when action resumes

Vitality Netball Superleague considering different scenarios (PA Images)
Vitality Netball Superleague considering different scenarios (PA Images)
10:24am, Thu 02 Apr 2020
CBAD8A00-D2B9-4E0E-ADDF-D0366C357A34 Created with sketchtool. E9A4AA46-7DC3-48B8-9CE2-D75274FB8967 Created with sketchtool. 65CCAE04-4748-4D0F-8696-A91D8EB3E7DC Created with sketchtool.

The Vitality Superleague are considering different scenarios of how to play out the competition once the season resumes.

Last month they announced that the league will be postponed until at least April 30 due to the coronavirus, with the board planning to review the situation mid-April to discuss the future of netball. 

A spokesperson for England Netball told Sky Sports: "We remain focused on supporting the whole netball family at this difficult time from grassroots to elite netball, which includes working collectively with Vitality Netball Superleague (VNSL) teams to create contingency plans from a financial and competition perspective.

"Some VNSL teams have made the decision to furlough players and coaching staff during this difficult time, allowing them to access the Government's job retention scheme until they are able to safely return to court, this will allow VNSL teams to ensure long-term sustainability."

Manchester Thunder announced earlier this week that they are going to continue paying their players. 

They said they were applying for the Government's option to support businesses through the crisis which means they will pay the players 80 percent of their salary with Thunder paying the remaining 20 per cent. 

And it was announced over the weekend that the Suncorp Super Netball's contracted players will take two weeks leave from their club duties. 

They are also set to then remain at their homes for three weeks with a 70 per cent reduction in pay. 

Sign up to our newsletter